Tuesday 25 February 2020

Acrobats, Dads, swimming and new skills

It is important for people to abandon their trust in their riches and come to Christ but it is not impossible for God to save them. He can change a man, he can transform him. Think of Saul of Tarsus. Our hearts are in his hands. The things impossible with men are possible with God! By his grace he can transform even the most hopeless case. All that is required is to despair of self and to look only to him. That is what counts.
Have you ever seen acrobats at the circus? Learning to be an acrobat is partly about the need to learn to rely totally on your partner.
I heard a story of a man and his son who went out into the countryside one day to climb in the cliffs. The man tells how suddenly he heard a voice from above him yelling "Hey Dad! Catch me!" He says
I turned around to see Zac joyfully jumping off a rock straight at me. He had jumped and then yelled "Hey Dad!" I became an instant circus act, catching him. We both fell to the ground. For a moment after I caught him I could hardly talk.
When I found my voice again I gasped in exasperation: "Zac! Can you give me one good reason why you did that???"
He responded with remarkable calmness: "Sure ... because you're my Dad." His whole assurance was based in the fact that his father was trustworthy. He could live life to the hilt because I could be trusted.
If we only see that God can be trusted then we will trust in him.
Or think of swimming. You know that to swim you have to trust that the water will keep you up. Some find that easy but some find it difficult to believe. My father was a keen swimmer and most of his friends enjoyed swimming as teenagers. He had one friend, however, who never could swim until he made a trip to the Dead Sea and learned there. As you know, the Dead Sea is very salty and so it is easier to swim there because the water really does hold you up as will any body of water to some extent. God will certainly uphold you if you will simply trust him.
To gain any new skill you need to listen to what the instructor says - the piano teacher or the football coach or whatever. If you do what the Lord says you can come to faith.
God alone can change you - you can’t change yourself. So look to him alone. The question is not ‘Am I elect?’ but ‘Am I relying entirely and only on Jesus?’ One reason why poor people and children often seem more ready to come to Christ is that they have so little to lose. Of course, some who are rich are saved. part of the reason is that they learn not to rely on their wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment