Wednesday 26 January 2022

Don't look at the sun - You cannot look on God

I had a lovely book on astronomy for Christmas which I have very much enjoyed. It's a Dorling Kindersley book designed really with children in mind and so every few pages, there are warnings "Remember: never, ever look directly at the Sun - it is so bright it will damage your eyes." In a similar way we have warnings in Scripture such as when God tells Moses (Exodus 33) You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live. This explains the amazement of Jacob in Genesis 32:30 when he says I saw God face to face yet was spared and the fear of Isaiah (Isaiah 6:5) when he says Woe to me! ... I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty. As 1 Timothy 6:16 makes clear God is the only immortal one and he lives in unapproachable light, and so no one has seen or can see him. He is hidden from our eyes - and that for our good. How could we bear his look even for a moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment